- Several sheets of fine newsprint (old telephone directories are good).
- About 4 sheets of white A4 (letter size) copy paper.
- Large empty jar plus lid.
- Elmer´s Glue−All (or similar) & Gluebrush.
- Masking tape & Scissors.
- Rule (for tearing strips of paper along the grain, against the side of the rule, this gives nice soft edge for ovelapping).
- Acrylic or poster paints and paintbrush (if required).
How to make a Dinosaur Egg
The completed egg on the little stand is an interesting object just as it is, however it would look superb decorated!
- Tear strips of fine newsprint along the grain, about 3 inches x 1 inch.
- Fix the balloon to a jar or vase with 4 or 5 tabs of tape. Glue the strips newsprint over half the balloon and leave to dry.
- Turn the balloon over, refix to the jar or vase, and then cover the remainder of the balloon and leave to dry.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to build up three or four layers. It´s a good idea to use different coloured newsprint for alternate layers, so it is obvious when a layer is completed.
- For the final layer, use torn strips of white copy paper as this gives a good plain surface for painting.
- A stand for the egg can be made by covering the outside of a jar lid with a single layer of glued paper, and painted as required. The egg will sit snugly into the upturned lid (see above).