Bowls and Vases
- Two Small paper plates
- Three large paper cups
- Two sheets plain newsprint
- Thin white card
- Florist’s stem wire
- Masking tape
- White tissue paper
- Wire cutters and scissors
- Elmer´s School Glue (or similar)
- Paintbrush, gluebrush
- Acrylic or poster paints
How to make a Spikey Vase
This spikey vase is constructed from a paper plate and cup for the stem, the body is made by building up layers of glued paper on a balloon and when dry,is cut in two to form the bowl and the lid, both of which are reinforced inside the edges with strips of white card. The spike on the lid is a thin cone made from two layers of plain newsprint. The handles are made from paper wrapped around stem wire. The whole piece is strengthened by covering with strips of glued tissue paper.
How to make a Raised Bowl
The stem of this raised bowl is made from two paper cups and a paper plate and the bowl made by covering a balloon with several layers of glued paper strips. The shape is then cut in half, the edges neatened, and the bowl taped on to the cups as shown. For extra strength the whole piece is covered with one layer of glued tissue strips.
- Tear strips of newspaper along the grain, about 3 x 1 inches.
- Fix the balloon to a vase with 4 or 5 tabs of tape. Glue the strips over half of the balloon and leave to dry.
- Turn the balloon over, refix to the vase, then cover completely and leave to dry.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to build up three or four layers.